8/25/2008

7 Years Later..

Last post I took a look back at what I learned as an intern 7 years ago.

 This week: Things I'm currently learning from the leaders I get to work beside everyday.


Although the list is long, I will keep it brief:

From PB (the boss)

1. Constantly push your staff to new heights, and take them places they never thought they can go. 
2. Just because you are the boss, doesn't mean you get to work less.  
(He is the hardest working, and most driven man I know)
3. Laugh at yourself
4. Work well with your team. (Even though he has the authority to make every decision, he is always asking input from our team)
5. Think Big- always look forward to what is next ahead!
(he is constantly thinking 3-5 years down the line, Rome wasn't built in one day)
6. Learn to separate and set healthy boundaries
 (everyone always wants something from him)
7. Push your leaders to be better leaders

1. Lead well from the second chair
(the man is a great leader, everyone comes to Steve w/all of our junk looking for advice)
2. Learn to rest
3. Persevere in the hard times
4. Invest in mentorship
5. Love people
6. It's ok not have to have all the answers right now.

From Beth:
1. Woman can be great leaders!
2. Delegate well
3. Know your strengths and weaknesses 

Things I'm learning about myself over of the past year:

1. I'm to cynical and judgmental
2. I can't say no
3. It's hard for me to relax and take a day off
4. I hate being called a techie...

1 comment:

Steve Bezner said...

J, good post. And here's another one: Those who read, lead; those who lead, write. In other words, read widely and deeply and take time to write about what you've learned (blogging is a good start). And it's good to read outside of your area (i.e., read church stuff, but also read politics, current events, novels, or anything that looks interesting).