5/20/2008

I Have High Expectations... on some things.

Some people, mainly the people that I do life with, say that sometimes I set to high of a standard when it comes to our church services and I'm too critical with what we do on Sunday Mornings. They are probably right.

For instance, there is probably never a week that I walk out of a service and truly feel we did everything perfectly. I understand perfect has different context for different people.


This is extremely the case in the baccalaureate service we put on for the H.S. In my mind, it was a disaster! The band doesn't show up, the mic isn't on when people are talking, the stage isn't well lit. The music was to loud during the talking by the principal. The projector shook at times. You couldn't hear the choir, we had no pre-service music, etc.. I could keep going, but I"m starting to bore you.. I would give that service a 7. I would give it a 7 for the concept ,the message, and the technology. It was used in an incredible way. Everything else.... well never mind

I would give our late service Sunday a 9.8 We hit this one out of the park. The feel, the concept, the theme and the worship set was just like we had hoped it would be. I was really proud of our team. The one thing I would change was I would have switched around the songs in the order.

Steve was great! One day, this man will be a great pastor, (however we all pray God doesn't take him away from us anytime soon.)



Saying that I have high expectations ordinarily means that it would be the same throughout every aspect of my life, but I realize it's not.

If you look at my car, which I pay too much money for, it's dirty, if you look at my room, its not well organized...if you look at my to do list, there's so many things to get done that I put off. There are some things I couldn't care a bit about.

It's weird the things people are passionate for, and the things people aren't.

Am I the only person like this? Do you stress out about certain things, and then act the direct opposite about other things in your life?

How can someone think, deliberate, plan, obsess over one thing, and procrastinate about the rest of life? My favorite verse in the Bible is Col: 3:23. Whatever you do, work at it with all of your heart, as for working for the Lord, not for men.

This verse is my favorite, not because I like it, but because it haunts me daily. I realize there are certain things in my life that I am not working with all my heart on for God. Even the little things are for God, and are used to make him famous. I sometimes forget that.

P.S. Yes I realize that God still shows up in services, and that he is sovereign. I just need to be reminded of that on Sunday afternoons about 12:45 when my blood pressure is over 220/100.





1 comment: